Places To Go ... Things To See !!

Expanding Access to Health Coverage for Moderate-Income Americans

Prophet of Violence," Human Events From December through February , Salmonberry produced and played for a contra dance on the second Saturday of every month in Seattle, Washington. I was there Friday and loaded some beautiful timbers from there on my truck. Floyd and his band play good old time fiddle tunes and songs as they were meant to be played for dancing and listening. He raised his feeble shaky hands up to the forehead as usual to pray because he gave the utmost priority to his faith in Buddhism.

Chuckle of the Week!

Fmovies - Watch Full Movies Online Free

In loving memory of our dearest Thayalathevi affectionately. We call her Thaiyal, although she is not in our midst she will always be remembered for her kindness towards the people at Annacoddai Colombo, and UK Born 14th March Died 30th April She was a Amma to everone. May her soul rest in peace. Remembered by her loved ones and friends. Peiris Mawatha, Uyana, Moratuwa. Venus Bandaiyah - , Pamunuwa, Pilimathalawa. Nolin Chaminda Peiris Mawatha, Panadura.

Inventor Leonard G Wirasinha. Teacher - Mahaiyawa , Uda Peradeniya, Peradeniya. Peter's Road, Moratuwella, Moratuwa. Perera Mw, Uyana, Moratuwa. Nicholas Road, Munnakkara, Negombo. Fernando Mawatha, Moratuwella, Moratuwa. Jayawardena Mawatha, Colombo Jude's Road, Ederamulla, Wattala. Mary's Church, Yattowita, Hanwella.

Mary's Road, Mattakkuliya, Colombo Dr Ma Hung Yu. Dodanwela Mawatha, Asgiriya, Kandy. Colombage Mawatha, Nawala, Nugegoda. Mary's Road, Mount Lavinia. Rita Road, Daluwakotuwa, Kochchikade. Silva Mawatha, Colombo Dr Mohamed Frahad Jurangpathy Freddie. Passed away on 29th November aged Beloved husband, father, brother, grandfather and friend.

Funeral on Friday 2nd December, Buddhist ceremony at 9. Anthony's Lane, Station Road, Kandana. BEN - Passed away peacefully. Perera Mawatha, Colombo 8. E A Cooray Mawatha, Colombo Silva Mawatha, Wellawatte, Colombo 6.

Kalum Rajapakse Mawatha, Wattala. Lucille Mary Wirasinha née Pinto Jayawardane. C Lily Josephine Canagaratnam of Batticaloa. Fernando - Dr Esme Née Jayasinha. The family of Late Mr Victor Medagama would like to thank all the friends, relatives and the Buddhist monks who have attended to the funeral, by sending floral tributes, cards of sympathy and help in many various ways at this time and difficult time.

We regret inability to thank everyone individually. Senanayake Mawatha, Colombo Cortège leaves residence at Theresa Mawatha, Rilaulla, Kandana. James' Lane, Colombo James Lane, Colombo Inventor Leonard Gregson Wirasinha. Lawrence Road, Colombo - 6. Anton Joseph Former Donnanton Travel. Passed away on the 3rd of May Please join us on the day to pay our last respects to Anton.

Funeral will be held on Dearly beloved husband to Muriel and ever loving father of Derek and Charlene has sadly passed away. His remains will lie at H. Please do not send any flowers, but if you would like to make a donation in his name, please do so via this page http: Joseph's Street, Uyana, Moratuwa. Rotarian - , De Silva Place, Pannipitiya. Funeral arrangements to be advised later Email: Born First July Died Twenty First April It is 42 years since you had a call from your creator, and every day we think about you and miss you because you have been the best Mother.

You have been taken away when you were only sixty five years. May god grant you eternal rest. In memory of Uncle Upali Gunasekara It's been a year but I find it difficult to write when my mind wishes my uncle should be still here.

Very sadly, it's harder to accept the reality or unfairness in life. Uncle Upali was my mum's second younger brother of five brothers.

His journey and his life ended too soon sorrowfully but he will always be living in our hearts. It was just before 10pm on the summer day of 17th of June Not knowingly, my final moments with Uncle Upali. He raised his feeble shaky hands up to the forehead as usual to pray because he gave the utmost priority to his faith in Buddhism.

Though I asked him to rest his hands down due to the slowing down oxygen levels, he confirmed me "it's okay" echoes his voice again, two words he often used and smiled. How could he have such strength and determination without any fear as usual even nearing to the end of life? He had no signs of losing consciousness and he had no tears. He battled with cruel cancer bravely. I was deeply hesitant to believe he was slipping out of life.

He said "Miracles do happen". Guess he only tried to comfort his loved ones when our faces echoed the sadness. I painfully grasped how the strong cancer medicine made my uncle weak and we were just helpless. He took his oxygen tube off just for a moment and let me feel the speed of the air.

The strong air pumped into his lungs just to extend his life for few more hours. I could only imagine the battle inside his lungs, and how he bore the struggle for life but we too put on brave faces.

Without choice, finally he departed the most difficult hurdle in life within the next 12 hours. How helpless, sad, lost but incredibly brave you should be as a person to die or as a person to care? Though we could reminisce Dhamma to understand the life, illnesses, the faces of loved ones at the death, but nothing ever made sense of the great loss of my uncle.

The time may be the answer but I will pray everyday "may the magical cure be found for cancer! Now, we are left with memories of our uncle Upali and the lessons he taught us. The rest of his remarkable qualities, he cultivated himself learning from the society and shared with people around him. He was much like his father, Wilbert Gunasekara.

They both were careful of their outlook, neat shirt, clean shoes, combed hair and had calm attitude. He was a remarkable person as an obedient son, brother, husband, dad, uncle and a friend. He valued everyone and cared for people from his heart. Amazing the way he respected women. It was evident in his great love for his mother, sister, wife, nieces and friends by being there when needed. He understood how women work very hard in life and he wanted to help them.

This is why I consider his death as a huge loss for us and he deserved few more years at his retirement to fulfil his life. But our requests were not granted when the time was truly here. He showed us how money is necessary even to live in moderation.

So, he worked very harder to earn and helped family, friends and contributed to Buddhism. When there was not enough money, he contributed his energy day and night except for his last 3 weeks of life. He never liked to tire others for his easiness. When life turned to different directions, he stayed the same in his character. When my sister, Nilmini visited him at the hospital few days before he died, he was very happy to see her.

As usual, he gave her so much advice for the future. So does my mother have many stories to tell about her brother Upali with tears. He copied the song, Gamen Liyumak by Clarence Wijewardena and sent to my mum showing his love for her. He was a great fan of Cricket though he played football for his school as a youngster. I watched the Sri Lanka vs India game on 8th of June while he was on the hospital bed. It was amazing how cricket took his mind off from the pain temporarily.

I felt his joy when Sri Lanka won by 7 wickets. I cherish the advices he gave me in his last days when we walked through the Royal Marsden hospital corridors will visit again once I recovered in the evenings to exercise his legs. I had to comfort him by saying all will be fine. He thanked me more than I deserved.

I wanted to say so much to him but it never was the right time, when you deal with an ill person. However, I said how much I appreciated his care for everyone and he deserved more in return. As Buddhists we believe, life or the after-life we live by our own karma. We should not think of going to heaven when we know the best place of peace is ultimate Nirvana. Your good karma will comfort your soul wherever you go. Lord Buddha even reached the enlightenment as a human being and we should appreciate the human life without letting others to misguide us.

I witnessed the way uncle Upali climbed up many steps closer to Nirvana. If it is ever possible, let him meet his parents and reach the Nirvana. Though words cannot explain the unmeasurable loss of Uncle Upali's presence, everything will end someday.

Until then, we could live on reaping more good karma that may guide us even to meet our dearests again. This is only a dedication to my brave uncle Upali lest we forget. She was the wife of late Dr. Rukmani Coomaraswamy, mother of Dr. Vijendra, Pathma Wimal Sockanathan and Dr. Percy Jayawardena 01 February - 30 April Beloved husband of Mano, father of four and grandfather to seven; past pupil of St.

Aloysius College Galle; pioneer of freight forwarding established over 50 years ago with Karpers Overseas, passed away peacefully at home, surrounded by his family. Dr Dinil Wickremasuriya A Life Well Led It is with great sadness I write this appreciation to show our respect and gratitude and to say a fond Farewell to one of our close friends and a batch mate from Colombo Medical faculty, who passed away few weeks ago peacefully after a brief illness.

His funeral service was held on Wednesday 24th April at Kemnal Park Crematorium in the presence of a large gathering of his close family members, friends and well wishers who came from far and wide across the UK.

After getting his O level results, he then attended St Sebastian College Moratuwa to pursue higher studies He was the only successful medical entrant from St Sebastian College Moratuwa that year. I came to know him in June when we entered the Colombo Medical faculty, University of Sri Lanka and continued with our close friendship ever since. Thanks to his initiative and with the excellent team effort, we brought about lots of improvements to the MSU 'common room.

He was an all-round sportsman and received university colours in cricket and athletics. He was always loyal, energetic and a sincere friend and ever ready to help anyone in need. Due to personal and family issues, he qualified few years later and did his internship in Chilaw Base Hospital.

Then he was posted as the MO. After qualifying as a medical practitioner, I wanted to buy a 2nd hand car with our meagre salary , and he took me around in his car to several car sales. After many unsuccessful searches, he finally told me that his uncle also has a car for sale an old Ford Consul car, which I eventually bought. Dinil got married to his beloved wife Prabha when he was at Kariyamaditta Hospital and his repeated efforts to get a transfer to a more comfortable location failed.

With a heavy heart, he decided to migrate to New Zealand and became a very popular GP for several years. Later he became the senior partner, and he got another batch mate of ours Dr Daya Thenuwara to be his partner. He was a dedicated, compassionate and a very popular medical practitioner who offered his patients a very personal and an excellent service. Dinil was a practising Buddhist and guided his children to learn the Buddhist philosophy In spite of his busy life as a dedicated GP, he also engaged in social, spiritual and cultural activities in and around his locality.

In addition to his being a caring and a faithful husband, he was a dedicated and compassionate father of two sons elder son is a consultant paediatrician and the younger son is a IT consultant After retirement, he returned to his home town- Beruwala, Sri Lanka mainly to look after his ailing mother. He also conducted free health clinics on a regular basis and offered his help to various Buddhist Temples.

Following the loss of his mother, and with his two sons and their families in the UK, Dinil returned to the UK with his wife and made his home once again in Sidcup until his passing. In spite of his ill health in the last few years, he was mentally alert, active and sociable and was ever ready to entertain his friends and relatives. He consented to donate his body to UK medical colleges after death, but sadly this couldn't be carried out due to the Easter holidays intervening.

As his wish, the family arranged a straightforward funeral service with the presence of three Buddhist monks. The Monks conducted the 'Pansakula' ceremony followed by speeches by his two sons who reflected on his life story in a very emotive and in a descriptive way. The service was also webcast live on line streaming for the benefit of those friends and relatives spread across the globe who could not physically be present at the funeral.

Even without much publicity, the large gathering present at the crematorium bears testimony for his immense popularity, humility and his brotherhood and community values. After the close family offered their final farewell in true Sri Lankan style, it was so moving to watch the entire hall queuing up silently, to pay their homage to one of their much loved and respected close friends.

Dinil is survived by his wife Prabha, his elder son Nalin and his wife Annette and their two daughters, and his younger son Ravi, his wife Sue and their two children. Dear Dinil, You would have been delighted with the presence of such a large gathering and how your loved ones conducted the final farewell.

You were indeed a true and a sincere friend Kalyana Mittha. You will be much missed by your family, broader relations and all your friends and well- wishers. May you attain the everlasting Bliss of Nibhana. Beloved sister of Gunapala and sister-in-law Thalatha. Loving mother-in-law to Shaun. Loving grandmother to three beautiful grandchildren. A devoted and caring friend to many. She will be sorely missed by all. Funeral service to be held on Saturday 28th April at Remembering Ari Ari dissanayake has been the definitive life force behind our PPA's unparalleled status with in the Sri Lankan community.

Now living in quiet retirement in Colombo, her contribution to the Association was, to put it simply, magical'. I met Ari at the AGM in However around , almost unwittingly, Ari introduced an extra dimension to the PPAs programme. She no doubt instinctively realized that with the vast resources at her disposal, she "Undeniably Beautiful and charismatic; supremely talenred with a great sense of humour" could pursue a yet unrealised ambition that of producing and directing her own stage shows, She declared she would experiment with the 'Visakha Geetha Natakaya' guided by the school video.

And she did it. The opera presented at the Commonwealth Institute was Colourful, no doubt amateurish being a first attempt, and with an enthusiastic all-female Visakhian cast, enormous fun. That was in The totally professional excellent musical drama 'Nari Bena' had an addendum 'Kamare Pore', Ari's last minute surprise, two gullible male lodgers being exploited by their shrewd, avaricious, mouthy landlady - and we all were doubled up in laughter to identify the brilliant actress as our own Ari - superbly appropriate for the part.

Just consider the magnitude of the tasks involved, finding the cast, music, costumes, lighting and sets, choreography, venues for rehearsals and shows etc. The cast came from PPA members, their spouses and children, and also Ans casual encounters in the temples, restaurants etc.

And above all, her indefatigable energy and resourcefulness that brought everything together. Also consider her contribution not just to the PPA, but also to all those whose hidden talents she discovered, enabling them to shine on the stage, those gawky young girls who miraculously were transformed to confident elegant models on the catwalk.

Ari has the love of so many in the community who firmly became 'Visakhas Friends'. Of course, Ari had the commitment and support of so many. Two names I must mention: Vipuli Samaratunga training the dancers, and responsible for the outstanding choreography in 'Nari Bena' which was as much her achievement as Ari's. The second is Saro Kodagoda, mistress of the wardrobe, in charge of costumes and apparel in all the shows, quietly calm and in control.

Now to digress, Ari introduced the style and format of the current newsletter. I thank her for encouraging any writing skills I posses. The Millennium dance Souvenir was exceptional, she put her heart into it. Ari will find my personal assessment of her entertaining. Undeniably beautiful and charismatic; supremely talented with a great sense of humour; adventurous and daring in her creative endeavours; imperious, dominating, even bossy; and taking immense pleasure in being in the limelight; inviting and welcoming constructive criticism and touchingly compassionate in relationships.

Ari has served the PPA with all of her ability and totally from her heart. She could and should be an inspiration to the PPA, for her contribution has been unique. Amila Wadugodapitiya Inserted by Lakshmi de soyza. We would walk right up to Heaven and bring you back again. No farewell words were spoken, No time to say "Goodbye". You were gone before we knew it, and only God knows why.

Our hearts still ache with sadness, and secret tears still flow. What it meant to love you No one will ever know.

Since you'll never be forgotten, We pledge to you today A hallowed place within our hearts is where you'll always stay. Josephs Home for Elders Chapel Lansigama Marawila on 29th March being 31st day of his death followed by Alms giving for the inmates. I like to thank Sister Maris Stella and the Community for all the arrangements made by her. If any readers who like to have a mass and give alms giving for their relatives and friends for any occasion such as Birthday, Anniversary, Death can contact Sister Maris Stella Superior, St.

If anyone would like to offer your sympathies to Gerards Sister Dilani Nesanpillai in States her telephone number and her Aunt Mrs. Lalitha Philomin telephone in UK. May their soul rest in peace, the good lord have granted eternal rest. Ganimathul Fawzia Sivardeen nee Nizar , much loved and loving father of Dr. Zaeem, loving brother of late Fathima, Khadija Umma, brother-in-law of late M. He was a very generous and helpful person who helps the poor and anyone who needs help, he was a friend in need.

May his soul rest in peace. Ed A medical academic with a vision When I was a medical student in the seventies, the majority of my teachers were very conservative in their approach to imparting knowledge. Although they instilled the values and ethos required of a future doctor but were reluctant to embrace the changes to develop the students nor did they make any attempt to nurture enquiring minds!

They were particularly loathe to question their own methods or performance. Prof Varagunam however was an exception for he was very enthusiastic to explore new ways of learning advocated by the Western academics who were gaining insight in to their own abilities, calling for analysis and research in to teaching methods displaying an interest to adopt new concepts of medical education.

Simply put he was a visionary, one of its first kind in the mid sixties perhaps better described as the doyen of medical education when he set foot in Peradeniya as a lecturer in medicine. On Wednesday the 7th of February generations of past medial students lined up in Kandy to pay their last respects as the mortal remains of the late Prof Varagunam lay at the funeral parlour. A cross section of the population from many parts of Srilanka and across the globe mourned the passing away of the gentle giant who dedicated most of his life time serving the faculty of medicine at Peradeniya first as an assistant lecturer moving on to become a senior lecturer and then the Professor of Medicine, the post he held until the end of His achievements during this period were legion.

The young Varagunam received his early education at Govt Central College, Batticaloa moving to Royal college, Colombo where he excelled in academics and sports, Rugby being his forte. Entering the University of Ceylon to read medicine in , he qualified in taking up training posts in Colombo North after which he left for UK to further his training. On completing the training with a membership of the Royal College of Physicians, Varagunam returned to Colombo to join the dept of medicine as a lecturer.

His return coincided with the establishment of the faculty of medicine at Peradeniya which he chose as his base When the late Prof Macan Markar relinquished his duties at Peradeniya the then Vice Chancellor of the University, the late Sir Nicholas Attygalle hand picked Varagunam as the person to Chair the department.

Varagunam reciprocated the trust Sir Nicholas placed on him with his exemplary leadership and commitment. The modernisation of medical education resonated well with the expectations of his students. She has been a tower of strength to him for the last 55 years. Prof was a very compassionate man extremely popular among every one who came in to contact with him. Sudharma Vidyatilake, his former trainee house officer and my contemporary, currently a consultant haematologist recalls the days she would be enjoying sumptuous meals prepared by Mrs Varagunam at their house where the juniors would gather often.

Apparently this was a routine that Prof would carry out for all his trainees during their time spent under his tutelage. Prof retired from the University post in when he was head hunted by the World Health Organisation serving it in an advisory capacity as a consultant in Tropical Diseases for a period of ten years based in Geneva.

On completing this stint he returned to Kandy when the Srilankan Government sought his help to establish the medical school in Batticaloa in keeping with its policy of expanding University education across the country. This was a great opportunity for the Prof to contribute to his birthplace which he loved.

He jumped at the opportunity taking on the role as the Chancellor of the Eastern Province University steering and leading the establishment over the next ten years retiring from the post just after The impact of the ensuing civil war on the infrastructure was such that he was experiencing difficulties with travelling from Kandy to Batticaloa and was unable to carry on with this mission any longer.

Driven by humanistic principles Prof never opted to do private practice either during his teaching career or after retirement. He was more focussed on rendering the necessary help to the institution he served with loyalty continuing in a voluntary capacity serving as the Chair of the medical research committee and promoting the activities of the Peradeniya Medical School Alumni Association which he was a patron of.

Troubled by peripheral neuritis he had to cut down his activities although he remained intellectually sharp and coherent retaining his sense of humour until he was called to rest. Philanthropy was in his genes. He donated vast acres of ancestrally owned land in Karativu for a hospital to be built for the local residents. In addition part of his property was acquired by the state for the build of the current Eastern University complex.

He was down to earth and simple in his ways. Except for official duties he seldom dressed himself smart. He was also a man of good humour. On one occasion while going through the Australian customs he was asked if he could speak English! His response was " I speak better English than you mate! Fate was such that as the nation woke up to commemorate the independence, from colonial rule, his students , colleagues and patients began to grieve the loss of a great physician, a teacher, a dedicated mentor and a true friend who touched several hearts.

An ebullient clinician, academic and a gentleman always displaying a pleasant disposition, Prof Varagunam throughly enjoyed the company of his old students, a rare characteristic for a man of his standing. I was very privileged to meet him often in the last 15 years.

Gathering with contemporaries over a meal we would often reminisce, catching up on various topics including medical politics of Srilanka! Last year Prof stuck a jubilant mood on the day I inquisitively touched on his 'alma mater' days at Royal as it was of mutual interest for I too attended the same school.

It was Rugby that he wanted to discuss! He told me how he hooked the ball in to help Royal beat the Trinity Lions scoring on the first leg and then on the second leg, over powering the Lions again at their own grounds in Asgiriya to wrest the Bradby Shield named after a former principal of Royal back to Royal College.

A remarkable feat given that Trinity has beaten the blue and gold boys over the previous four years consecutively condemning Royal Rugby to the doldrums! So this was a moment of Glory for the Royalists.

Our last meeting was at his daughter's residence in July in the UK. After this meeting we bid farewell planning to meet again next summer. He returned to Kandy in Aug A few weeks later I received an email from him mourning the death of his close friend Mr Rudra Rasaratnam Retired Cardio Thoracic Surgeon a fellow Royalist of the same vintage. He appeared very distressed at the demise of his friend for the contents of the mail revealed the desolation he was feeling. It may well be that the solitude created by the loss of friends of his generation was unbearable.

He leaves behind his wife Thayalam, three daughters Mira, Radha and Sita and four grand children whose grief stricken emotions during the funeral were testimony to how much they loved their grandfather. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy.

Sati Ariyanayagam - A grateful student Dr Kamala Gomez The family of the late Dr Kamala Gomez nee Abeywickrema wish to express their sincere thanks to all friends, relatives and Colleagues who attended the funeral service in Chichester, West Sussex on the 7th February. They would also like to thank all those who sent floral tributes and messages of condolences.

It is greatly appreciated. Kamala will be sadly missed by all those who knew her over the years. She now remains at peace. Died First September May her soul rest in peace. Tele Christie Email felician5 hotmail. Srilanka - "Nirvana is not the blowing out of the candle. On being awarded his medical degree the young Dr Walawela was posted to the General Hos-pital Badulla where he undertook his early training followed by a tenure as a medical officer at Minipe and then at Deltota in the central province.

Towards the end of he travelled to the Sultanate of Oman for a brief spell as a general practitioner returning to Srilanka betrothed to Nilani Ratnayake, a school teacher whom he married on the 19th Sept Attracted to the speciality of medical administration he took up the position of Deputy Director at the University Hospital at Peradeniya serving the people of Kandy his place of birth. He took special responsibility for the education of those professions allied to medicine especially the area of nursing.

He was then promoted as the Regional Director of Medical Services for the Monaragela district ensuring the smooth functioning of government institu-tions. He was a skilful and fair but a firm administrator with an affable personality whose admirable qualities held him in good stead to uphold the ethos contained within the national policy of providing a free medical service to the people of SriLanka.

He was subsequently appointed by the Ministry of Health as the Director of National Quarantine Services taking charge of preventive health with the main focus on the ports of entry playing a vital role at the peak of the Avian A HIN1 flu epidemic. He was also called in to manage the crisis that followed the scandal in connection with the importation of 'digestive' biscuits from India around the same time. Walale retired from the national health service in at the compulsory retirement age of Being a workaholic he was unable to decline an offer as the company medical director for a private sector establishment, the Ihala Kothmale Plant, based in Talawakalle where he spent the next two years by which time he has spent most of his working life serving the nation away from Kandy where his family was based.

Failing health at this stage meant that he was unable to continue with this job. He returned to Kandy to spend his remaining days at Katugastota in his family home with his wife and children. He was one of six children. Walale entered the University of Ceylon as it was then called in opting to read medicine at the historic and scenic Paradeniya campus.

A very modest man of ethical principles focussed on simple living he defied many of his contemporaries during the civil unrest and the ensuing turmoil often referred to as the black July, treating the victims of violence with compassion no matter which ethnic back-ground they belonged to! Something his son Niluksha recalls with pride. An avid reader, a linguist with an aptitude for Sinhala, English and French, Walale was a great admirer and follower of the late Prof Ediriweera Sarathchandra, the renowned playwright and dramatist.

Gifted with a liberal mind and incisive analytical skills he was a caring father and a loving husband never prescriptive towards his children. Daughter Cha-malka reminisces how Walale discouraged them from sitting their year 5 scholarship exams for he believed that children should learn but not be compelled to compete at this young age; a view that is shared by many contemporary western educationalists promoting equality.

Walale was a grateful servant of his alma maters actively contributing to the OBA functions. He had an interest in Tennis, Rugby and Cricket volunteering as a sports medical officer to various organisations. He wrote to the news papers in his spare time and also organised several blood donation camps. Many of his friends will recall the trouble he took to attend the event with Nilani despite his poor health for he wanted to be among us celebrating the big day. Little did we realise that it was going to be our last meeting in person!

A nominal Buddhist but with an altruistic attitude towards humanity, Dr Walalawela's legacy could be described in the words of Martin Luther King Jr who once said "The quality, not the longevity, of ones' life is what is important" May his soul rest in peace. Dr Jayananda Bandara Walalawela was called to rest on the 25th Dec and is survived by his son Niluksha, daughter Chamalka and wife Nilani.

Dr Kamala Gomez nee Abeywickrema Dearly beloved wife of Gaspar, loving mother of Shehana and Nicola, mother in law of Stefano, passed away peacefully in Chichester, West Sussex on the 22nd January after an illness bravely endured.

Felicia was born in Colombo in December The Catholic Church was always a great part of her life from her beginnings at the Holy Family Convent. Where she met and married her husband Danton Samarawikrema. It has been rebuilt, supposedly as it was in the late 19th century. I remember the noise and the smell. Having looked at your presentation, the first thing I would think about is danger. There must have been terrible accidents from time to time.

My dad was among his many trades, a mill wright. This wonderful picture story gives me a vision of what being a mill wright entails. I always considered the task of positioning and aligning large equipment, but had no concept of the tasks of operation and maintainance.

Hope to visit the site in the future. Many thanks for a great piece of journalism. Gary; Have enjoyed your roadshows here in the Seattle, WA area. I really enjoyed the article about the Hull-Oakes mill as it re-kindled thoughts about my growing up.

Aa a kid, I grew up in a Washington logging town not far from Aberdeen, WA where we had seven sawmills and shingle mills operating. My father, uncles and cousins all worked in the mills or the woods. The mill used the bark and sawdust for hog fuel to power the boilers and produce steam to drive generators and for the dry kilns. The mill had converted from steam to electricity after WWII. Later, I worked at the mill on the green chain and pulled the dry chain while continuing my education.

The mill is still there and when I go back to visit family the smells of the mill carry me back to those times over forty years ago. As an engineer and American History hobbyist, I find this fantastic and heart warming.

This is what the American culture is all about; hard work and endurance. I just want to know one thing….. Where do they get spare parts? What a wonderfully interesting article. The photos and dialogue were also very interesting. It takes a special person to do that job and do it well.

Thanks for sharing, it was great. As an engineer and long-time member of the Society of Industrial Archaelogy, I found the story and pix of the saw mill just great. Gary, Thanks for the memories brought back from 55 years ago when I worked my way up from the green chain to pond monkey in a Dayville, Oregon mill long gone!

The first few weeks until I got my balance, I was always working soaking wet but worse were the jeers and laughter from my fellow millhands. The pictures, descriptions, and comments were all first class. Gary, thanks for a wonderful article! As a mechanical engineer and a woodworker I was fascinated by all the equipment.

Your article really made me think about what we value in life. A great story and an excellent reflection of the past. Having grown up around small circle saw mills in Colorado I am facinated at the size and capabilities of the large mills.

Makes me sad that a great industry has nearly died- the loss to our economy and the loss of a sustained forest progam is very troubling. Gary, Thank you for the enlightenment. It just goes to show what diligent maintenance and proper blade sharpening will do. I will save your wonderful article and show it to others. Thanks so much for this presentation. What a treat to be able to make it real rather than theoretical. This was wonderful and just what we needed to really understand the workings of the mill.

I have a new respect for all of the work that goes into preparing this natural resource for our use. Gary, Thanks for a wonderful presentation. This harkens me back to the years of through the fall of when I worked for Harold Hollenbeck who had a mill at Trout Lake, Washington. I did not work inside of the mill, but I knew what the whole operation was all about.

This operation was not too different than where I worked except this mill could not handle the long timbers. Thanks again for a job well done. This is something that all the older folks would like to see and read again and many would have some great stories to add to this very interesting e-mail from their past.

I have never seen or read anything like this before, pass this on to all your e-mail buddies,family and friends. I found this presentation very uplifting. As a retired educator having taught both art and history i feel that these types of presentations are essential to preserving the history of this great country of ours.

After retiring I took up wood carving as a hobby and way to make a few extra bucks. I am going to pass this on to all of the woodcarvers and history buffs on my e-mail list. He worked in the spokane area. I do have some pictures of some of the crews and mill. My father Frank was a farmer, small business man and an owner of a three bench corley mill in Michigan. It was hard work and two of us were called to serve in the military,so dad sold the mill and the farm in the fifties.

Two of the five of us brothers are deceased or long since retired. I enjoyed the program and have never forgotten the operation of a mill. I retired in and nosed around a wood mizer portable mill to buy some slabwood and started to pile lumber and slabs for this owner because he was handicapped and got a part time summer job. He gave me wood and lumber to build a small tool storage building and asked me to run the mill for him after we sawed about 40, bd.

My old Navy buddy who I served with in the SeaBees sent this to me and I will treasure it and share it with others. I loved reading and looking through this article. The mill and its staff have my hearty admiration.

Awesome, do they do tours? I need to take my kids to see this awesome mill next time I am home. It looks like a green operation to me using their wood waste to heat the boiler. I toured this mill and took a number of photos. This mill is a throwback to the past and I love the history. After college, I worked in the Weyerhaeuser sawmill in Springfield, Oregon. They had a 10 foot bandmill for the large logs but everything was pretty much computerized at the time.

The smells, the flow through the mill, and skill sets required by the various machine operators will also be remembered. Thanks for sharing the Hull-Oakes story. Dad was a logger and pony-sawyer skilled labor.

Nineteen sixty-seven, , Dad remarked how many people lost their jobs, how many families were no longer there. How he greived that year. Our town housed one of the largest sawmills in the British Commonwealth, owned at the time by B.

These pictures bring back a lot of memories for me as my father was the chargehand electrician for many years and I worked part time in the mill while in high school and post secondary school. This series of photos and descriptions of the mill workings is a treasure and should be in a museum for posterity. May I suggest sending it to the forestry museum in Duncan, B. It is very closely reminiscent of all that I remember in Youbou. Well done to those who developed it. My dad worked in the woods and then in sawmills and planer mills all his working life.

By the time I can remember he was working in a planer mill in Junction City, Oregon for his brother-in-law, Don Shelton. These pictures provoke wonderful memories of my childhood and visiting daddy at the mill! Thank you for the trip down memory lane and a more gentle time. Thanks to Grant Cunningham for the link. One of the last steam powered mills in the east was torn down to make way for the Georgia Dome in Atlanta about 20 years ago.

I used to go there to pick up bundles of survey stakes. I loved to stop by and watch the mill run. Thanks for a wonderful presentation. It brought back memories of my first job out of High School. With corked shoes I snagged the logs, pulled them into the mill, cut to length and split them to shingle bolt size. It was good exercise for an 18 year old and has stood me well and I feel I could still do it at I purchased the the old Car-Win cedar mill in Forks Wa.

It cut old growth cedar and exported it all over the world. Before I dismantled the mill I took hundreds of photos and of course recognize many of the same equipment as was in your presentation.

I restored the straddle buggy and take it for a short ride now and then. This mill was not steam operated but it took so much power that when it started all the light in Forks dimmed. This mill also had planers and they sold a finished cedar product. Thanks again Respectfully Bill Sperry. I toured the mill last fall and still have short videos of the headrig cutting huge timbers on my cell phone.

This was an absolute treat. Nice to have keepsakes around. It is great to see a wonderful mill like this still in operation. I have a large circle saw 64inch in front of my house powered by a steam engine..

It has an atlas engine with a 10 inch bore and 14 inch stroke.. The headblocks are adjustable, so something a little larger could be set up for.

The boiler is horizontal and has 92 3 inch flues 14 ft one inch long in it. The great area is five by nine feet. We fire it on slabs and railroad ties. The engine is an Atlas manufactured in Indianapolis Indiana. The flywheel is about five feet in diameter and 14 inches wide. It drives a 10 inch flat belt which goes to the husk and an edger.

Sawdust is carried out by a drag chain. I have a machine shop next door in which all the lumber except the poles was sawed on this mill. Schwenk passed away a few years after setting up this mill. He had always wanted one. He also owned a horsepower Nichols Sheppard engine, a A. Baker engine and a Minneapolis engine,and his fathers engine a M.

Rumley engine built here in La Porte Indian. The baker engine was his favorite. Baker had invented a very modern valve gear for the engine, and was sought after by many railroads to put his steam efficient valve gear on their engines. I new have a two cylinder upright westinghouse single acting engine to be used for the swing cut off saw, and a two cylinder water pump engine.

We also have a twin cylinder pumping engine one injector,and a manual pump for water in the boiler. You just cant beat the smells and sounds of a saw mill running cutting oak and steaming steam cylinder oil in the air. My hat goes off to you guys there for keeping your mill operating. I guess I am showing my age. I was lucky enough to run all the steam locomotives at Cedar Point in Sandusky Ohio for two summers. I pulled five cars four trips an hour and hauled three hundred and fifty passengers on every trip.

The second year I not only ran the engines, but fired, took on water, and shovelled the coal into the tenders every morning by hand by myself. We had the old waste stuffed journals and I oiled them all every morning. I also started the fires, blew out the flews with a steam hose to knock out the excess soot. My friend Don was one of the last to shock wheat and oats and corn here so he could thresh it with his old advance rumley separator.

Come to Indiana in the fall to our threshing show. I was one of the founders about 25 to 30 years ago. By the way the boiler on our mill formerly heated the New York Central track pan in Chesterton Indiana, and was hauled over to this area on a wagon drawn by horses. Best Regards, Rich Lidke I have a video of our mill on here made by a friend. Thankyou for a wonderful journey through the operations of an old Steam driven sawmill. Thank you, and I hope the mill still keeps going for generations to come.

If at all possible, young children age should see this process to become aware of the hard ardous work necessary to obtain wood down to paper. We are honing in on becoming more green and appreciative of nature but a hands on visible look would be worth a thousand words. I am very impressed and enjoyed reading about the process of a tree. Later, my father and his brother took over the operation around In my cousin and myself both started working on the mill and in the woods of central PA cutting timber and running the backend of the mill.

We would take the lumber off the edger and stack it and cut all the slabs and edgings to either fire wood size or slabs for firing the brick yard kilms. We sold the sawdust also. This story really brought back the memories from that time. We supplied a lot of ties to the railroad and prime oak for hardwood flooring.

We also subblied ash blanks to be turned into handles and baseball bats. We also custom cut lumber for many special projects including homes and other buildings which required special timbers. It was quite an experience. One of the stories my father told me about my grandfather was that when he was young, he lived in a logging camp. On Saturdays, the logging camps would get together and each camp would have a camp champion to box bare knuckle.

My grandfather was champion for a number of years and according to Dad, wan never defeated. A very enjoyable and informative presentation. I learned quite a bit with each picture. I love history information like this and hopefully it will stay around for many years for others to see and learn from.

I sure am glad that I have taken the tour and being from California, plan on coming up north to take the physical tour so I can see, hear and smell the complete process. I hope that will be o. I was sent this by a friend who knows my interest in steam power. But I found the whole mill operation absolutely fascinating. An operation like this is a one of a kind thing and deserves to be kept in use as long as possible.

I noticed that they say the steam engines have less trouble than anything else they could use. Unfortunately boilers are maintenance intensive by comparison. Thanks for all the work to put this together. I grew up with this mill. My dad worked there until he died in I spent my summers during high school with Hull family across the road from the mill. Field trip to San Francisco when in sixth grade spent the night on The C. Thayer and did all the stuff that was done on the ship back when it was in operation.

Great photos of mill. It should not be closed down. I graded lumber after it was dried in the kilns for a few years and then changed to the river crew, where I fed logs into the mill in a steel cable hoist, up to the head rig.

I sometimes worked as an off bearer behind the head rig, but finally transferred to the log dump. I ran the cantilever dump, lifting the entire loads off of the trucks and dumping them into the river where they were sorted and graded to be formed into rafts and stored until needed by the mill. Then the truck trailers were loaded back onto the trucks, so they could return to the woods for another load.

IP built a paper mill next to the saw mill and plywood plant, and used the slabs from squaring up the logs to chip into pieces to digest into paper pulp.

The logs had to be barked before they could use them, so they were cold decked and not dumped into the river anymore. The old cantilever dump was sold to a shipyard across the river in Reedsport to lift boats onto the drydock. IP cut all of their timber and shipped it to China. Leaving Gardiner like so many other lumber towns in the Pacific Northwest. I walked and sorted the logs before sending them into the mill.

But, it sort of made me mad as I sat and thought about it. We live in a country where the ones who are rewarded most handsomely are those who produce absolutely nothing of value. Here, we have workers who actually work, yet more and more of their country is owned by the bankers, lawyers and speculators, those who have produced little of value for our country. Long live sawmill workers. I just called them up and asked if I could visit and they said yes.

While I was there, one of the employees took me on a tour. Same thing the second time I went. You should make a video and get this on a program like This Old House. What a great story and my hat is off to those that have spent their life working at this mill. I moved from N. Last year they closed the mill at Frenchtown and the Lumber mill at Bonner,Mt.

It is appalling that we now send our logs over to China to get made into different products and when they are finished they are shipped back to the U. I have seen this when I drove Truck picking up loads from the docks in Ca. Ironically I have even been sent to deliver loads and pick them up at the papermill plant in Frenchtown,Mt.. I can remember everything coming from Japan when I was growing up and now our country is suffering from loss of jobs because our politicians,bankers and government has sold us short.

Now we know that these groups have been lying about what is really going on and they did this so they could get government-taxpayer money over all these years for their special programs. Our government and politicians are letting this happen. Forest fires destroy more trees than a logger can cut in a hundred years.

Trees can be grown and harvested just like crops of wheat,barley etc. Maybe we can turn this around and start producing in our own country again soon. The woods, the mill, made boxes, doors and the town. The mill saws could handle giant sugar pine logs cut from the slopes of Mt. One never forgets the smell and whistles of a company owned lumber town.

And a previous comment was true: Blessed to have followed my Dad into forest products, and to have spent some time in old sawmills both as a laborer, and as a safety professional. The sounds, the feel of the wood, the aroma of freshly sawn timber, and the satisfaction of surviving yet another damn difficult day hard-at-it, are unforgetable memories.

But the best part of it all — and the single most endearing aspect of Hull-Oakes, is the folks who work there and live that life-style as close as you can find to how it was. All that old technology, and the effort they put into maintaining their historic designation is impressive to say the least.

It is by Green Frog Productions, Ltd. It is very well done, tracking a log through the process just as your photo essay does. This was on the Menominee Indian Reservation in NE Wisconsin which had some of the last remaining old-growth timber left of the great forests that once covered most of that state.

The mill was unusual in that it was built by the US government to provide an industry for the tribe, so the main mill building was of cast concrete, sturdy enough that it still operates today.

Back then, it was still powered by a big steam engine, and the sights, sounds, smells and overall action of all the saw carriage, jacks, moving chains and workers was immensely fascinating for a 7 year old.

And still is for a 68 year old! I lived near Placerville, CA. Not many had bandsaws, most used circular saws, one mounted above the other which permitted them to cut large logs. The circular saw blades had removable teeth, occasionaly a tooth would come off and go through the roof of the mill. Most lumber was not planned, homes were built with rough lumber. A two by four was acually that size and had lots of splinters, must have been tough being a carpenter in those days.

I worked as a log setter in a small mill in Riddle Or. I was a timber faller for some time. All the logs shown in these pictures are douglas fir. I fell thousands of them, some even larger than any pictured. I got out of the woods in I worked as a furniture salesman for 30 years. I met Mrs hull at Blackledge furniture in Corvallis Or.

I was out to her home several times and sold her a lot of things over the years. The family was all wonderful. She had a large log house built over by Bend Or. One of the store decorators furnished it for her. Barker would to me imply to place the bark onto the log.

Other areas may use different terms. I think you have the time of Mr. Hulls death wrong, it must have been ,it was some time before I retired in I worked in sawmills Bandsaw mill such as the sawmill Pictured located in Hilis, CA from age 18 years of age until I was The teeth on the back of the bandsaw also served to cut pieces of the log that may spring out after the sawyer went through the cut. We referred to the teeth as splinter teeth. I was the person that rode the carriage and was called a ratchett setter.

Pictures bring back many memories from into My dad work for the Kerr Lumber co. He not only worked in the saw mill but was the engineer of the train that hauled the logs out of the forest.

I was born at that time but he used to tell us about it. My mother would talk about it also. He died in I have part of one of the boards found in an old barn that was torn down several years ago. Nothing like the smell of fresh cut wood and the beauty of a finished object made of wood. What a great, great presentation, but just as interesting have been all the follow up comments, so many by people in my age bracket, i.

Incredible memories, and I saw most of the large mills in CA when I was a woods rat cruising timber. I am surprised to see that there is still at least one log pond around. Once the big handling equipment that LeTourneau, Cat and Euclid built came on the scene, most mills turned to log yards, sorting on land instead of water. Beyond the head rig the conveyor system could handle only small dimension stuff.

If they were cutting an RR tie or a large square, once it was to dimension the sawyer would bring back the carriage at full speed, the dogs would be lifted, and when the carriage came to a stop the timber would shoot back out of the mill, fall some 20 feet, and land in the pond with a gigantic splash.

Could give you quite a start if you were driving by and not expecting it. I used to work in a lumber yard back in Ames, Iowa for several years. I received your presentation from friends in Central Oregon this morning and how great it is. I have read every one of the comments and much to my suprise there are none from Anacortes, WA, where we had two huge sawmills, a pulp mill, a plywood mill, and a dozen shingle mills, plus numerous individual shake cutters.

Wood and fish was our life blood on this island. I grew up hanging out at our local shinglemill on Similk bay at Summit Park, and knew every hand there. IT was all steam, as all our mills were. My dad worked in the logging industry before me. Years later as an engineer and business owner, I converted two steam mills to Hydraulic. The first at Johnsondale, CA a complete company owned town and mill and the second was a smaller mill at Davenport, CA.

I did live in the Bloedel-Donovon Owners house in Bellingham, Washington in that over looked their mill. Thanks for sharing this wonderful piece of history.

I have driven by this mill you showcased many times. The lovely old log trucks were out though and made for great photographs. The sawmill is going to be open to the public for a tour on May 18, as a part of Historic Preservation Month.

I grew up in the Wauconda Area Graduated from Republic High schoo in , As a kid I used to help a friend of the family cut railroad ties I used to use a sort of knife like article and cut the bark off of the ties that he cut.

Made a dollar a day then after a stint in the Army after being discharged in I worked in a steam powered saw mill in Tonasket, Washington for quite some time so I really enjoyed this article Thanks again for bringing back fond memories Bill Fischer. I visited Hull Oakes a few years ago and found it fascinating. Now I am involved in a writing project involving specific elements of Oregon history and would like to use this story as a resource, with permission.

When I got out of the Navy in 79 my new bride lived in Corvallis. We moved from Georgia to Philomath Oregon where there was I believe 5 sawmills within the city limits or very close to it. I went for a millwright position at Pedee lumber company, which had already been filled. The owner did me a favor since we were both navy men from the black gang boiler rooms he put me on as the off bearer by the big bandmill.

I soon began to wonder if he really did me a favor or not, when you work in one of these old mills where most all of the work was manually done, there was know slowing down and you generally had more than one job at a time. If you worked in one of these mills and lasted, you were a real man. Thanks for the memories. I am in the process of setting up a small mill in the back of my place, not to really make money but to enjoy the sounds and smells of logs being milled. Some guys want bass boats, I prefer a sawmill.

Sawmill in Monroe, Oregon. There also has been one book written about the mill, its processes and history. Here is the citation:. A Case Study in Industrial Archaeology. Keep up the good work. What an excellent documentary of the mill and the timber industry. It brings back a flood of memories as my entire family has been involved in the industry in one way or another for over years. The company would later become Publishers Paper Co. Sadly, the mill was recently forced into bankruptcy when it was unable to compete with the Chinese for raw materials.

My Grandfather started a career in the woods in Alsea maintaining a steam donkey for the logging operations. He later moved to the Hull-Oaks mill in maintenance to work on the steam engines there. To know the toughness of these folks, my Grandfather talked of the times that he would walk from Alsea to Corvallis for food provisions for the family.

That is an uphill walk back of some 22 miles carrying a load of groceries! During the depression, another group took the risks and constructed a plywood mill in Albany. This mill used steam power for the lathe while the balance of the machinery was electric. The electric power came from two steam turbine generators that had sufficient generation capacity to run the entire city of Albany in an emergency.

The steam was also used in the dryers to dry the veneer. At times the peeler blocks were so large in diameter that they would be chucked off center and rocked back and forth to cut down one side and then re-chucked to clear the floor. During World War II, these thick panels of plywood were used for the carrier decks on our aircraft carriers. I started my career in wood products at this mill; learning to run every machine station there was while going to college, studying in the field of accounting.

Later, as a CPA working for a national accounting firm in Portland, I would return to this mill to audit the books as an independent accountant. Sadly, this mill too is gone; lost to the Spotted Owl controversy that closed down logging operations for so many mills.

One of my major clients turned out to be Publishers Paper Co. Later, I would leave public accounting and take various accounting positions with Publishers. I later moved on to other wood produicts companies finally retiring. I still build from wood and will until I die. In my early years I would pass through the mill many times on my way to hunt for deer in the hills west of the mill and later on, to ride motorcycles all over those hills.

If you knew the old dirt log roads well enough you could ride all the way to the Oregon Coast. The guys at the mill were always friendly and would wave as you went by or stop you on your way out from hunting to inquire of your luck. The sound of the screaming saws, the steam engine, debarker and the mill overall was a symphony of pure pleasure. Finally, being politically incorrect, as most timber folks are, I will note that the favored term for the articulated arm on the carriage that turns the log is the Nigger.

Thanks for a great story of real America. I was a personal friend to Ralph Hull. He wanted the mill to continue after his death and his genius was in acquiring timber ownership to leave as a continueing raw material supply. The mill does not run exclusively on Ralph Hull timber but I sincerely doubt if it could still operate without the private timber holding. Ralph was a Good Samaritan. Not only are the folks at Hull-Oakes fine and respectful, they are intelligent as well. There are no computer-operated machines in the mill; every operator is working with the computer in his or her head.

Furthermore, every log cut is to meet a specific order, which can vary from one log to many, and from small to large as the photos showed.

It is an unusual and remarkable place. Thanks for a great photographic record. I just read this online and I wanted to tell you that I grew up around Hull-Oaks. My grandpa worked there for years until he finally retired. Even today if you ask around the mill if they knew Barney, they would. Also my uncle still works up there has since he was 18 years old.

My father worked there off and on when I was growing up. I really enjoyed reading what you wrote. I hope you get a chance to go back out there and do another article. I throughly engoyed this entire article. I am an old fan of steam power in every application and am fortunate to live only one 1 mile from a steam traction engine museum here in Portland, Tn.

The museum also contains over gasoline, diesel and kerosine powered tractors on steel and rubber tracks or wheels. They belt up many different tractors and Traction Engines to it to cut the mostly popular and oak logs. It was donated to the Celebration and most effectively powered by the owner of several Keck-Gonnerman engines. They can bee seen, heard, and smelt working away every October on the first week-end.

Right off of state rd. Come see us, and Remember,……. Beautiful job on this site thanks Wayne. Gary Katz I would like to thank you for your work and photos on the Hull-Oakes mill. As a young man I had one of the best childhoods growing up there, I wish every kid could have had that growing up and this world would be a better place.

My father worked for Diamond Match Lumber Co. He past away at 47yrs. However the memories that your story stirred, when we would cut the pine and redwood boards, oh the fragrance, working late in the night to get the orders out for next day deliveries.

As you can see I have started a small lumber company just because I love it, certainly not for the money. Can you tell me if Hull-Oakes mill has someone there that I can contact to visit them? Once again, thank you for preserving the past.

Found your site thru the net. That is a cool machine and history too. My husband has managed to line up a Coutts 2 head rig. I have contacted All Blades Canada and they have gave a place in Ont to get the blade to be pounded and order the bits.

My question is is there a place in western Canada that we can get the blade pounded and order bits. The timber industry used to be huge there. I knew a young man who, while working in a mill, got hit by a piece of the band saw blade when it hit a spike. Yes, someone spiked logs in protest of certain logging practices. In researching to write about that incident, I came across your site and found the info very helpful and fascinating as well. This is a great article.

Video of those saws in operation would have been amazing. A great story of a successful American family-owned and operated business. I have been in the reclaimed lumber bus. Our source of material comming from buildings of the Industrial rev. I noticed they had a hand sign to sawer to tell what size of cut. That was developed in the south found in the book The Fasinating Lumber business.

Plywood in Eugene, Oregon. Does anyone have photographs, videos, or documentation of any kind on the lathe? But I am sad. I was there Friday and loaded some beautiful timbers from there on my truck.

I should have asked for a tour: The guy who describes the screaming motors and overwhelming noise and vibration all around you as a symphony of pure pleasure obviously has NO clue of what it is really like to come out alive at the end of the day.

Pure Terror and broken backs. Smashed legs and feet. Bill Oakes gave first-aid, probably saving his life. Offbearing that band saw was a near death experience every day!

As for those back teeth ,I once saw them cut several feet and 4 inches deep in a log because the setter hit the wrong lever while backing up. Later, they did lose a band which almost decapitated Ralph K while cutting it out. I was laughed at for diving for safety.

Our Latest